San Juan del Sur celebra 490 Años


“Old Meets New”, a stunning photo from our friends Dan & Cesar

San Juan del Sur Celebrates 490 Years of its Discovery, 160 Years as a City and 10 Years as an Official Tourist City

For this reason, City Council wanted to publish a brief history for all Sanjuaneños, for pride and so that our culture and identity is known to all Nicaraguans, especially future generations.

BRIEF HISTORY

The territory of the port of San Juan del Sur was discovered by the Spaniard; Andrés Niño in the summer of 1522 during his journey in search of a strait between the Atlantic and Pacific oceans. The origin of the name of the Port of San Juan del Sur dates back to its location in the Pacific Ocean or South Sea of ??the Spanish which in order to distinguish it from San Juan del Norte, the Spanish port on the Atlantic Ocean.

San Juan del Sur was temporarily authorized as a Nicaraguan Port by a decree of the Constitutional Congress of the Central American Federation in the year 1827. In 1830 that status was made permanent by an Executive Decree of February 8th under the name of “Puerto de la Independencia” (Port of Independence). Afterwards, the port was known as “San Juan de la Concordia” and was subsequently registered under this name in the “Official Registrar” of the day November 2, 1846.

Also in 1846, Commodore Cornelius Vanderbilt, taking advantage of the California Gold Rush, established a Transit Route to facilitate movement between the east and west of the United States and also to avoid the dangers of land travel within the US which were present at that time. Passenger ships out of New York came to San Juan del Norte, up the San Juan River, across the lake and arrived at the Port of La Virgen. They journeyed overland to San Juan del Sur by horse and then by ship to San Francisco, California.

In 1851, the port was officially named San Juan del Sur and was mentioned in this name on a note from Don Fruto Chamorro to the Chief of the Army of the United States; Minister John Bezman Kerr, dated November 18th, 1851. That same year it was designated as a ‘Major Port’ with the same privileges as the Atlantic port of “San Juan del Norte”. Although, in 1852 it was named the City of Pineda in honor of the Chief Director of Nicaragua, Laureano Pineda. However, he was deposed and exiled to Honduras along with all his ministers. After that this name faded from popularity and the port continued to be called “San Juan del Sur”.

In October 2002, to mark the 150th anniversary of the city, it was elevated to “The Port of San Juan del Sur” and on this occasion was also given the title “Tourism City of Nicaragua.”

By Bayardo Romero, Secretario de la Alcaldía Municipal, San Juan del Sur, January 2012

San Juan del Sur celebra 490 Años de su descubrimiento, 160 Años como Ciudad y 10 Años como Ciudad Turística

Por tal razón hemos querido publicar su breve reseña histórica para que todos los Sanjuaneños, además de sentirnos orgullosos, podamos conocer y transmitir nuestra cultura e identidad a todos los nicaragüenses, como parte de nuestro Patrimonio Nacional que pertenece sobre todo a las futuras generaciones.

BREVE RESEÑA HISTÓRICA

El territorio del puerto de San Juan del Sur fue descubierto por el piloto español Andrés Niño en el verano de 1522 durante su recorrido en busca del estrecho dudoso entre los océanos Atlántico y Pacífico.

El origen del nombre de San Juan del Sur data de su situación portuaria en el Océano Pacífico o Mar del Sur de los españoles, para distinguirlo de San Juan del Norte, puerto español del Océano Atlántico.

San Juan del Sur fue habilitado provisionalmente como puerto nicaragüense por decreto del Congreso Constituyente de la Federación Centroamericana en el año de 1827; en 1830 fue habilitado definitivamente como puerto marítimo por decreto ejecutivo del 8 de febrero del mismo año con el nombre de: “Puerto de la Independencia”.

Después se conocía el puerto como “San Juan de la Concordia” y estuvo registrado posteriormente con este nombre en el “Diario Registro Civil” del día 2 de Noviembre de 1846.

También en 1846, el Comodoro Cornelius Vanderbilt aprovechando la Fiebre del Oro de California estableció la Ruta del Tránsito para facilitar la comunicación entre el Este y el Oeste de los Estados Unidos y así evitar los peligros que en esa época presentaba la comunicación por tierra dentro de los Estados Unidos. Los barcos de pasajeros salían de Nueva York  entraban a Nicaragua por San Juan del Norte, pasaban el Río San Juan y llegaban al puerto lacustre de La Virgen luego de atravesar el Lago de Nicaragua. El trayecto terrestre hasta San Juan del Sur se hacía por diligencias haladas por caballos, desde donde se embarcaban hacia San Francisco, California.

En 1851, se le nombró oficialmente San Juan del Sur y fue mencionado con este nombre en una nota de Don Frutos Chamorro, Jefe del Ejército al Ministro de Estados Unidos, Mr. John Bezman Kerr, con fecha 18 de Noviembre de 1851. Este mismo año pasó a ser Puerto Mayor con los mismos privilegios que el puerto del Atlántico “San Juan del Norte”. Aunque en 1852, se le nombró Ciudad Pineda, en honor al Jefe Director de Nicaragua, Laureano Pineda, porque éste recuperó su cargo luego de ser depuesto y exilado a Honduras junto con todos sus ministros, este nombre no prosperó y continuó llamándose San Juan del Sur.

En Octubre de 2002 se celebró el 150 Aniversario de haber sido elevado a ciudad el Puerto de San Juan del Sur y con este motivo se le dio el título de “Ciudad Turística de Nicaragua”.

Por Bayardo Romero, Secretario de la Alcaldía Municipal, San Juan del Sur, Enero 2012.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.


*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>